Sunday, January 29, 2012

The "Where the hell is Modesto?" One


Let's get one thing straight, Fresno is boring.

I also have a love/hate relationship with Yelp. Yelp is awesome for finding good coffee, good food, even a good place to get your oil changed! But as a barista, I also hate yelpers that think they know something about coffee. "They didn't have a Carmel Macchiato, and NO syrups whatsoever!! How lame, I am giving them 2 stars until they can get it together", or "I'm not really a coffee drinker but...", these are the type of reviews that make up the hate portion of my relationship with Yelp; however, when it comes to the 5 days I spent in Fresno, that's part of the love relationship I have with Yelp, it lead me to Cafe Corazon.

I partially hoped that there might be a great coffee shop in Fresno, and I would have a reason to move closer to Chuck and Jill, so I anxiously drove over to Cafe Corazon. The reviews had mentioned single cup brewing and roasting in house, so I was mighty hopeful. Unfortunately, what I found at the cafe was not what I expected. Don't get me wrong, the coffee was roasted well, brewed well, and the staff of one, was a super sweet man that was obviously enjoying learning about coffee. The roaster was small, maybe a 3 kilo Deidrich roaster, they brewed on the Clever, with scales and all, and they had just received a small single group espresso machine. They weren't serving espresso yet though, they really were working on dialing in to serve good coffee. This place made me happy to have a spot to frequent in Fresno, but sad that they weren't bigger to offer a career coffee position. I bought a cup of the Honduras, which was just roasted the day before and  went back to Jill's to sleep before our trip the next morning.

We woke up, played a couple games of dominoes and headed north on the 99 towards Oakland.

While en route to Oakland, I decided to start compiling a list of all the spots I wanted to hit on my tour, and when I looked up I saw a sign that declared "Modesto 18 mi". Modesto? The last time I had even thought about Modesto was when I attended a conference there 10 years ago with my ex-boyfriend. I enjoyed it there, thought it was a cute town and loved the t-shirts they were selling that said "Where the f*ck is Modesto?". Then it hit me! I had heard that there was great coffee in Modesto! I saw an article on a place there in a Barista Magazine article last year at Coffee Fest! I Yelped it, and sure enough Serrano Social Club came up!

I was craving espresso, I had been without for almost a week! So we pulled of the exit and made our way to the Serrano Social Club! We walked in and the Baristi were super friendly, the ambiance was very "punk rock" and the coffee simply delicious! They serve multiple roasters and I had a wonderful espresso from Insight I believe, and a V60 that was brewed beautifully. The staff was super funny and intrigued with my tour plans and helpful with selection. They were even super sweet to by boy Chris, who had never been told no to a red eye, he gracefully accepted the espresso, on the side and the staff graciously sweetened his coffee with agave, he was enthralled with how good the coffee was. So much so that when we stopped on the way back, after the tour, he was drinking the coffee black, and asking questions about brewing at home, which made the staff at Serrano Social Club super happy!

All in all, Central California is vacant when it comes to good coffee, but with places like Cafe Corazon, and Serrano Social Club, I see great things in the near future for these areas, if not, I see myself frequenting these places on road trips, and recommending them to a whole lotta folk along the way.

What these first two shops showed me was this; that good coffee doesn't just happen, just like SCAA says, it takes work, and passion. Passion being the number one asset in that equation. I believe if you love whrat you do and work hard enough to become great at it, then you absolutely can not fail at following your dream. This is why while at Serrano, I dropped another resume, said my good byes and continued along the tour, not because I needed to find a job, which I did, but because I needed to find where my passion was going to fit into the scheme of things. I needed to keep going to truly discover why this journey was necessary, which is why I continue to lap my lip over great cups of joe, and continued to head north on the journey to finding out how passionate I truly am about this phenomenal industry we call Specialty Coffee...



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you. Specialty coffee gives us, baristi, wide range of opportunity in understanding the concept of great coffee, taste parameters, aromas, sweetness that comes naturally, and most important, the knowledge we all should posses when extracting, or brewing the high quality coffee and how fortunate we all are to gain the tools required to deliver that message to our customers who really appreciate the coffee, who really enjoy the deliciousness of coffee or espresso based beverages. And by saying that, I must admit how happy and lucky I am to be the part of this phenomenon business of Specialty Coffee and grateful to be a member of baristi family.

    Viva Barista. Viva Coffee. Thank you.

    Mikhail Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm not a coffee snob, but this place didn't even have hazelnut coffee (I mean *come on*).

    Will not return.

    I'm glad you found some gems along the way... hoping there will be more traveling coffee tour stories.

    ReplyDelete