Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The First One

Coffee is not a real job. 

It's true. When I tell most people what I do for a living, their immediate response is "OH! You work at a place like Starbucks?", and my immediate answer is, "No. Nothing like Starbucks". 

Conversations like the example above, are the main reason why I believe the general public is just plain dumb at best. Don't get me wrong, this is not necessarily a bad thing. I have an elder that always tells me, "Baby, they'd do better if they knew better". Simply put by a man way more wise than me and it gave me an idea for a blog. 

Here it is; this blog is #1 for MY thoughts on life, regarding coffee, our industry, and our standards, but #2 to inform other women and men in their 20's that, yes! You can do something you love and make a living, even if our elders and peers may not see us as having the "real jobs". 

My Aunt is a longshoreman, makes a ton of money and wanted me to work at the gas company, electric company,  police dept. etc., somewhere with a union, benefits and retirement. But why not in coffee?  Because its not a real job? Well, considering that coffee is the 2nd leading commodity in the world, why can't people like me, who LOVE it, make a decent living following that passion. We can and are all over the world, one cup at a time. 

So, let's have the general public (AKA my facebook friends for now) learn about what we do on a daily basis to make sure those "real job" holding individuals are highly caffinated and ready to sit at a desk all day. 

Along this journey, I will also be discussing daily life as a 28 year old divorcee, and the challenges of starting over at a young age. YES! STARTING OVER! Believe it or not, no matter what age, it's a challenge, and a wonderful expedition into finding out what I love and expanding on it.

If you are young, single/divorced, don't know what you want to do in life, struggle to know who you are, and maybe want to learn a little about me and coffee, please read. 

Perhaps this will only be a place to journal and document my life. I have been told to write a book, so let's try a free blog from google, right? 

So, sit back, relax, grab a V60 or your other favorite brew method for brewing at home, and enjoy the madness that I call living. 

Cheers, 

A

2 comments: